Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Drunken Wisdom…

This is sort of an oxymoron.  Normally there’s nothing intelligent about anyone when they’re drunk.  However, I was out celebrating with some people tonight, so I thought I’d perform a little experiment.  This will be written with a relatively healthy buzz in place, with no edits (save for grammatical errors later on for ease of reading) and what’s basically on my mind.  Maybe it’ll be fun, maybe it’ll be retarded, but I like to try these little experiments, so bear with me.


So what’s on my mind?  Not much to be honest, mainly because the world is a wonderful place right now.  I guess it depends on what kind of drunk you are (I tend to be a happy drunk) but right now, all of my worries are sort of not important.  Focus is difficult enough (which is funny to say considering I’m trying to type this out), so thinking about things that require a lot of introspection or forward thinking is not exactly very high on my list of priorities.


My sense of balance is a bit off, as I was playing beer pong earlier (something I will likely never do again) and I kept crashing into things…. people, tables, chairs, etc etc.  However, who cares?  Everyone had a laugh.  The one thing I’ve been fortunate with is that I”m not a blackout drunk, or someone who makes a complete fool of themselves when I’ve had a few.  Coordination is always a problem though, but I think I can focus just enough to keep myself from falling into the train tracks on the way home, or anything similar to that.


The most interesting thing is that despite my inhibitions being quite loose (certain conversations that I can’t mention here), I’m still capable of intellectualizing the situation and take the proper steps.  What do I mean?  Basically, instead of letting my body take over, and the drunkenness take over my actions, I can still think, and at least see consequences of my actions.  This is pretty true no matter how far gone I may be, so I’m fortunate in that sense.  Admittedly, I’ll say some outrageous things when I’m nice and tipsy (some of which those of you who know me have heard and have had a good laugh), but I’ll still be relatively collected.


I guess paying attention to how I feel now, I’ll never understand how people allow themselves to get to the point where they’re so drunk they don’t remember where they were, or what they did.  I’m in a good place right now, and this is probably what the purpose of a good buzz is, in order to divert yourself away from the heavy things on your mind, but people take it too far, and end up completely losing themselves.  I have always found it important to maintain my self, my presence, so maybe I don’t let myself get too far gone, but I find it hard to understand why people would willingly allow themselves to end up in a wreck.  It boggles the mind. 


Anyway, this is short and sweet, cause I’m sleepy, but maybe I’ll expand on this another day.  Either when I stumble home from a long night, or when I’ve had more time to think about the concept of being inebriated.  Anyhoot, till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment